"If we cannot live so as to be happy, let us at least live so as to deserve it."
~Immanuel Hermann Fichte

Saturday, August 20, 2005

Two Sides

Well, there are two sides to every story. I spoke about my fears before Keith & Libby came. Now that they've left I'm wanting to talk about their visit again.
It went well. It was pleasant actually. They earned our trust, and began what I hope will be a wonderful relationship with Brandon. They spent time getting to know him and they shopped. Holy cow, did they shop! I hope they had fun. I know Brandon did.
Libby confided to Grandma Nadine that Keith had been so nervous about coming that he was physically ill & almost backed out. He was nervous too. We all were, I guess. I'm glad he decided to come anyway. It can be hard to face things sometimes, but I hope he found it worthwhile. I think so.
I didn't recognize Keith at first. Man, he has changed. Again, I guess we all have. Nine years will do that. Beyond the physical changes, he seems to have grown up some. This is a good thing. I adore his wife. Libby is every bit as likable as I envisioned. She was so sweet & good to my kids. Seriously, we all loved her. Another good thing.
I was worried about Vern, who I'm sure has his own set of feelings concerning this, but who is so quiet & hard to read. He was awesome. He took us all up to snowbird, and didn't swim much on Brandon's birthday, making sure they were comfortable around his family. (They didn't have their bathing suits here.) He played host well. Whatever he was feeling, I was proud of him.
So we're on new territory where they are concerned. I hope Keith & I both will be less afraid in the future. And that Vern & Libby will both continue to be wonderful & supportive spouses. Mostly, I hope that Brandon will be able to continue to get to know his other dad. He seems a little more sure of himself somehow. I'm so happy for him.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Libby, Brandon & Keith.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad that it went well!