"If we cannot live so as to be happy, let us at least live so as to deserve it."
~Immanuel Hermann Fichte

Thursday, February 12, 2009

girl talk

Today was preregistration over at the jr. high. Kirsten & I walked over & got her all set. She's excited about electives. Well, dance & theater mostly. ;) lol

Kirsten and I are always talking, whether we're on a walk or she's hanging out with Maiah and I upstairs. I'd like to say I'm always full of good advice & such. I can say that we're always laughing & having fun. I'm so glad that she's comfortable coming to me with things and still seeks out my company & my opinion. I hope that never changes. I asked her to help me write down some of our recent moments for this post - here's what we came up with...

Kirsten: "Boys don't cry."
Mom: "The good ones do."
Looking at a Twilight photo of Kellen Lutz. (He plays Emmet)
Mom: "Are you at the point in life where you can appreciate a guy with a body like that?"

Kirsten: "Uh, yeeeeah..."
Talking about the upcoming Valentine's dance.
Kirsten: "I hope he asks me."
Mom: "I hope so too, but don't be afraid to ask him."
Kirsten: "Everyone says that older sisters are mean. I'm not going to be like that.
Mom: "You say that now..."
Kirsten: "I have kind of an odd question to ask. Um, nevermind. nevermind..." (I probably looked at her funny.)
Mom: "No wait, I wanna hear this one!" lol It ended up being a practical question about bathing suits & pubic hair. Nothing near as exciting as I expected after our tampon insertion demo. (On her hand - she just wasn't getting how they worked. :p)
Watching some show where they were sewing a distressed denim skirt.
Mom: "Oooh I want one of those. They're cute."
Kirsten: You want a skirt like that?!" (They'd just started sewing one and it was really, really, really short at first.)
Mom: "Well obviously they aren't finished unless you're going for a slutty sort of look. I mean, I wouldn't want to scare the neighborhood children."
Kirsten: "Are you sure you'd just scare the children?" Ha. Nice K. :p
Kirsten: "I don't feel well. I'm going to go into the bathroom."
Mom: "Don't be putting your head near the toilet unless you're sure it's coming, because once your head is in there you're committed whether it was going to happen or not. Kind of like peeing and running water." :p

And a few general pieces of mom advice off the top of Kirsten's head...
"Don't let mean or petty people get to you. Life's too short to care what some jealous girl thinks."
"Don't ever be afraid to be yourself."
"Smiling & being friendly will make you so much more attractive than any amount of makeup could."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, Kirsten, not all older sisters are not mean, sometimes little sisters can be really bratty and get their big sister into a lot of trouble... lol!!! I am glad that you both are able to talk, keep it up!! Love you lots!!

Anonymous said...

Hi April! Sorry it's been so long since I've checked out your blog. Ahhhhhhhh, it's been crazy since we got back from Hong Kong. What a great post. I couldn't stop laughing. You and Kirsten have such great dialogue. Rowan and Sophia are still so young, but I can't wait for the opportunity to have that same relationship the two of you have. Kirsten is fabulous. Just like her mom!

Vivian Burgon said...

Hi April...oops, sorry. I didn't realized Wil was logged in. I accidentally posted the last comment under his account. See, that's what happens when you don't blog for a while. Love ya!