"If we cannot live so as to be happy, let us at least live so as to deserve it."
~Immanuel Hermann Fichte

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Re-discovering my kitchen.

I used to like to cook.

I still like food more than I probably should, but haven't really spent much time in my kitchen in recent years. I think it's partly because I married a man who would rather have cold cereal or fast food most days. I threw my hands up in the air at some point early in our marriage and said "Why bother. He'd rather have cereal." (He's lazy when it comes to food - if it can be microwaved, poured into a bowl or handed to him through a drive through window with as little effort as possible it's his kind of food. Simple as that.)

I noticed something the other day though - he does appreciate it when I cook for him. The kids have always liked a good home-cooked meal, and I'm realizing that Vern does too. At least some days. There will always be pizza nights and even cold cereal nights for Vern, but it feels good to think that maybe I can rekindle my love for cooking and not have to eat it all by myself. If nothing else, my kiddos are always willing to help. Besides, Kirsten is the only person in the world that I know who likes her veggies as much as I do. :)

1 comment:

Carin said...

I gave up my kitchen years ago to Mike cause he likes to cook even more than I do but over the last 6 months or so he has had to let me have it back and it has been fun!