"If we cannot live so as to be happy, let us at least live so as to deserve it."
~Immanuel Hermann Fichte

Tuesday, December 06, 2005

His Secret

I love Christmas. The meaningful aspects, the fluff & everything in between. The whys, the hows, the tastes, the sounds, the sights, the giving, the recieving. All of it.
Vern does not.
He is one who's considered a scrooge-type by many. He doesn't care much for Christmas trees, thinks the lights are a waste of electricity. He rolls his eyes when I start listening to Christmas music in November. He isn't into wrapping presents or stuffing stockings.
A self-proclaimed grinch.
But I know him well enough to just smile and let him think he's fooling the world. He may care less about Christmas fluff, but he's one of those dads you'll find at Toys R Us fighting the crowds on the last day to make sure our children have enough. I put together idea lists, but he is the gift-giver. He's good at finding cool gifts for people and I swear he enjoys that part. Immensely. That's been his thing. He may not enjoy all of it, but his heart is there for the important parts. The faith in a baby who's birth we celebrate, and the giving and sharing with those around you. It makes me smile to think I know his secret.
He is no grinch.

1 comment:

Kristi said...

What a pretty new header thingy, April! I love that Vern is a softie hiding behind his grinchiness!