"If we cannot live so as to be happy, let us at least live so as to deserve it."
~Immanuel Hermann Fichte

Friday, May 06, 2011

today (...1 monkey, 2 breaks)

Today Elijah had a field trip to Wheeler Farm & the Living Planet Aquarium. He wasn't sure if he was going to have his usual drive home, so Maiah and I went to pick him up.
I got there and saw some of his classmates but no sign of him or any of the people he rides with. I tried to get his teacher's attention to ask if he'd gone home already but she was busy shepherding straggling kindergarteners so I assumed I'd missed him & walked home quickly. When I got home Elijah wasn't there, so in a panic I left Maiah with Brandon & ran back to the school. When I arrived there was no sign of anyone from his class outside, so I went in to their classroom to check. No luck.
Figuring I'd somehow crossed paths with the awesome lady who drives him home every day I started back home. As I turned onto the street from the school's driveway, his class aide Mrs. Lambert pulled up and told me he was at home, Miss Karen was with him and that he'd broken his arm. She offered me a ride, but I figured we live close enough that it was sixes for time & started jogging. Once there, I found a worried-looking Karen, a pale Elijah holding his arm laying in the front passenger seat of her car & the two kiddos he drives home with playing in my front yard. Lauren, Tyler, Nina & Vern were on their way. I splinted Ej's arm with an umbrella from Karen's car, Brandon carried him out so I could hold him, Lauren & Nina showed up and away we went to the kid's instacare over at the hospital.

K, here's Elijah's side of this story thus far.
Today after school I was playing on the monkeybars. I can't go all the way across, so I dropped and fell on the woodchips on my arm. I saw my arm at the bottom there was a big white spot on my skin and I saw my bone stick up. They carried me into the office and miss Karen laid me down in the car and took me home. My mom and Grandma took me to the doctors, and they took 2 pictures. Then I found out I broke my arm. 
(From what all the teachers/helpers said he was in shock, bluish-white and obviously in pain. He scared 'em good. :p)

Yeah, so he broke both bones in his left forearm & will get a cast on Monday. For right now he's splinted, medicated & being such a good sport. The doctor & nurses were amazed by how brave, sweet & good he was for them. He's awesome like that. :) They gave him lots of extra stickers & lollipops for being such a trooper. He would have loved to keep the wheelchair, but yeah. lol
Actually,  the guy at in & out, where we grabbed lunch on the way home (complete with a vanilla-milkshake-brave-reward) gave him oodles of stickers too. lol Gogo cuteness factor. :)
It's been a very long day thus far. :p
Oh, but his fieldtrip was awesome & now he's off-track for the next 3 weeks.

Sorry for the bad scan of the photocopied x-ray. You can see the 2 breaks though.
Yeah.

I do believe it's naptime!

Huggishness!

1 comment:

Robin said...

Oh no!!! Please give him big hugs and kisses from me!! Love you guys bunches!!! xoxoxo