"If we cannot live so as to be happy, let us at least live so as to deserve it."
~Immanuel Hermann Fichte

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Let go.

I woke up early today (for me) after an emotional sort of dream. I'm not going to share the entire dream here, just thought I'd mention the fact that I woke up on a less than happy note. Okay, so I was actually crying. Why is it that situations and people who are long gone and a part of my past can stir emotion in me still? The bulk of the people in this dream were from my childhood. One of them had perfected the art of hurting me. She did so in this dream. Again. Mixed in there was someone who represented a much newer friend. (One of those things about dreams, sometimes you have a nameless someone and you know who they represent in real life, even though they remain nameless in your dream.) This is a person who in his own way ended up hurting me. With him it was a much less intentional form of hurt. (Still painful, but less blame and more acceptance on my part.)
For some reason my mind put these two people together in this dream, and once again I found myself hurting. Enough so that I was actually crying upon waking up.
Why am I sharing this?
Because it's dominating my thoughts at the moment. Because I learned something from this. I think I need to learn to let go. The girl from this dream is a person from my childhood that I've never been able to fully forgive. Maybe it's time I figure out how to do that once and for all. I mean, I'm giving people the power to hurt me by not letting go.
Worse yet, I'm hurting myself.
Something to work on. Letting go.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pretty picture!
That must have been an icky sort of dream. Hugs to you!