"If we cannot live so as to be happy, let us at least live so as to deserve it."
~Immanuel Hermann Fichte

Saturday, November 05, 2005

Slow Down Baby

My baby is growing up so fast. He learns new things every day. Sometimes I wish he'd slow down. Just a little.

This story starts with a mommy moment.

You know those times when you have to use the rest room realllllly bad, but aren't sure what to do with the baby in your arms? Where the thoughts running through your head are "What can I strap him into? Maybe I can put him *insert brilliant place here* and he won't get into anything. Would he be too cold in the bathtub?" I had one of those a month ago. (Well, I have them all of the time, but this particular one was a month ago.) Anyhow, lucky me. Little Vern was home too. So I asked my 4 year old to please watch my 6 month old and make sure he didn't go anywhere or get into anything. I left them both in the front room.

Immediately the crying ensued. Elijah didn't want me to leave his sight. 3 stairs & 1 hall was too far away. Little Vern was slacking at his job. He decided to play cars in the hall by the bathroom instead of watching his baby brother. Not a great babysitter. Go figure.

So Elijah took matters into his own hands. He managed to climb the 3 stairs to find us. I was shocked and amazed that he was able to do it without getting hurt his first try, but he sure did. He made it all of the way to the bathroom door. LV was yelling "Mom! Look, Elijah climbed the stairs!!" While reprimanding the would-be babysitter I scooped Elijah up. I hugged him & kissed him and told him what a big boy he was. And secretly wished he'd slow down just a little.

In the following days we tried to show people his new trick. He'd sort of try and sort of do it, but without being upset and really wanting to get up those stairs it was all half-hearted. But he did get lots of practice as we prodded him on trying to get him to perform his amazing new trick.

Those three stairs are now just a regular part of his routine. He makes it up them whenever he decides to. There just needs to be something he wants or somewhere he wants to go beyond them. The buttons on my camera the other day were enough of a nudge to get these shots. We'll have to teach him how to get down soon.

Sigh. Slow down Elijah. You're only a baby for such a short while.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

5 comments:

Miss Cellania said...

What great pictures! You have beautiful kids.

~**Dawn**~ said...

omgosh...he is just oerfectly precious. those are goregous photos. =)

Anonymous said...

My goodness, April! He's growing up so fast! Already climbing stairs!! Yikes! He sure is a cutie!! :o)

Amy B. said...

what a big boy! it will be nice for you though when he can go both ways so he's not yelling for help everytime he wants to get somewhere. ;)

although, Libby feels confident with the one step we have and has decided to practice with the uncarpeted stairs that lead to my basement, the basement with the concrete floor and lots of terrible dangerous things in it. oy.

Anonymous said...

Such a big boy! Wow! He really is adorable, April. What a sweetheart! The pix are just perfect! Have a great day!

Sophia