"If we cannot live so as to be happy, let us at least live so as to deserve it."
~Immanuel Hermann Fichte

Tuesday, November 15, 2005

This Kid. (yesterday's entry)

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
B. That's what I call him. He's my oldest. In some ways I'm more protective of him than any of my children.
He was my first. He was my miracle baby. A rough start that we won't go into. (I don't recommend having babies in Canada. *shudder*) Truly, him making it here is a miracle.
Then he spent two weeks in traction at the hospital at 8 months old after surgery on a septic hip. What a trooper. I believe it was that surgery that did damage to his bladder. His bladder has scar tissue, nerve damage and deperately needs to be operated on to funtion normally. We were told he has to wait until he's 18. He handles it well. We're waiting patiently.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Anyhow, he was there in Toronto. Somehow he made it through my single mommyhood, those years when I was young and still working on growing up. Through the college years where we rented one room, and he slept next to me while I did homework by candlelight. Where we left for the bus stop at 5:30 every morning and got home between 6:30 & 7:00 every night. Where I pulled him in the wagon to get groceries & he'd sit on the case of pepsi on the way home. It was just the two of us. We had fun.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Then came Vern. We came to Utah. I think Brandon has enjoyed having a dad in his life. Vern and Brandon have developed a good relationship. It's been a good thing. I don't know what I would have done if I'd still been a single mom when Brandon had his grand mal seizure in third grade and we found out he had epilepsy. It was such an emotional, difficult time. He had to go off of the meds for his neurogenic bladder and start taking seizure medicine. He hasn't had a seizure since then. He weaned himself off of the meds after a couple of years because they made him out-of it and tired all of the time. (Um yeah, narcotics will do that to you.)
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I believe he's grown out of epilepsy like some kids do. Still crossing my fingers that that is the case. We need to get him tested to be sure. He certainly seems to be better than ever, especially these last few years - since coming off the meds. He started growing well again, is awesome at school & in sports. You'd never know to look at him that this kid has had physical struggles. He doesn't look sickly. He's athletic and has the appetite of a teenaged boy.
He's been through a lot in his 14 years.
Emotional & physical trials. Things most kids his age can't imagine. Yet he's so strong. He's my hero in many ways. He sets an amazing example to his younger siblings by being helpful, always willing to work and be there for me. I can't imagine taking care of my babes without him. Vern works a lot of hours. Brandon ends up being the one to help care for them. Everything from making meals some days, changing diapers and just about any household chore. He's simply amazing. He has a great attitude. He's an amazing young man. My B.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
I love this kid.

5 comments:

Kristi said...

Awww! April- I had tears in my eyes reading your entry! What a great kid Brandon is! And I am pretty sure I know where he gets it from!

Anonymous said...

I'm with Kristi...I've got tears in my eyes after reading this. Brandon is a great kid - and a lucky one, too.

Amy B. said...

I never knew all these things you two have been through. what a great kid. beautiful writing April and beautiful photos.

Carin said...

April we all must be a bunch of cryers cause you got me too. What a lot to go through. Great pictures too.

Helena said...

This is really touching, April!