"If we cannot live so as to be happy, let us at least live so as to deserve it."
~Immanuel Hermann Fichte

Thursday, June 30, 2005

Summer Fun

Growing up, I spent most of my summer days here.
Especially as a teenager. Life wasn't complete without a season's pass, and I have many fond memories of riding those roller coasters, eating pizza, watching fireworks, going to concerts with friends & riding the bus home. My first kiss happened there! Canada's Wonderland is a seriously awesome theme park. Utah doesn't have anything that comes close to being an equivalent. It just doesn't. There's Lagoon, but you can count on your fingers the number of decent rides there, and can walk the place in an hour or so. A little disappointing, but considering that Vern doesn't do rollercoasters, and my kids are mostly too young for them I'd probably be missing out anyway.
That's okay. Some things change, some things stay the same. We used to have fairs throughout the summer in mall parking lots in Toronto. Just some midway rides & games - but always fun to hang out with friends anyway. That's where my other summer love comes in...
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Serena, Denise & I would go to the fair at Yonge & Steeles & ride the Zipper over, and over, and over again. I vividly remember the year when Serena was wearing her fgth relax t-shirt & I felt all cool because I bought a new anklet & lip gloss at the mall before heading out to the parking lot to ride the rides, eat our cotton candy & (hopefully) meet some boys. I don't remember meeting any boys that year (or any year for that matter) but man, do I still smile when I see the zipper. Maybe they'll have it at Riverton Town Days this weekend. If not, they'll for sure have it at the State Fair later this summer. I wonder if my stomach can still handle it. I tried to go on it a couple of summers ago & they wouldn't let me go on alone, and none of my family were eligable/willing to brave it with me. I think I could convince Brandon now. I'm hoping so. There may not be a Wonderland here in Utah, but where there is the zipper there is some summer fun!
*I'm not sure why when you first use my link to the Wonderland web site the pictures don't come up (at least for me) but if you click on overview it refreshes the page, pictures and all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I haven't ridden the Zipper in years! I do remember going to the fair to ride it and try to meet boys, though! LOL I don't think we ever met any either!

April said...

LOL Robin, you guys forgave my prep shorts though. :) Weren't they the boxers with pictures or whatever all over them? I think I can find a picture of me wearing some. I'll have to do a "me in the 80's" post. LOL