"If we cannot live so as to be happy, let us at least live so as to deserve it."
~Immanuel Hermann Fichte

Tuesday, February 14, 2006

A few things.

First, happy Valentine's Day to anyone who reads this blog.

This holiday means more than chocolate & flowers to me. More than I love you, it holds memories & emotions that are important and intensely personal to me. So forgive me for skimming as I share just a few things that make this day a special one for me.

Okay, so the chocolate & flowers count for something.

Three years ago on Valentine's day we lost baby #4. I remember that day as though it were yesterday. It wasn't my first miscarriage, but it was devastating. Heartbreaking as that was for us, it strengthened us. Valentine's day is almost like a birthday in my heart for baby #4. Love you baby.

Somehow, throughout my teens & early 20's I never managed to have a boyfriend on Valentine's Day. Whenever there was a January breakup I'd just laugh it off. It felt like a curse at the time. It turned out to be a wonderful thing. Vern got to be my first Valentine. I wish we shared more firsts together, but sadly he missed so many of mine. Our first February together we'd been married for 4 months and I was 3 months pregnant. Vern bought me roses, as he has every year since.

I love that man.

My post for today wouldn't be complete without a picture of him for the February declaration of love thing I've been doing.
Image hosting by Photobucket
Who else would I give my lovin' stuff to today? I took this tonight while he played online.

Love this man. Love that smile. Love his dimples. Love that 9 years later he's still good to me.
Once again, I must admit, I am a lucky woman.

2 comments:

Kristi said...

April- I am so sorry that you lost a baby on Valentine's Day. Sorry if I already knew about it and just forgot. It makes me so sad to hear about these losses, I have had 4 of my own.

Vern definitely is a keeper!! Happy Valentine's Day to you and your family!

Anonymous said...

First, (((HUGS))) sweetie. Love ya bunches. You know this.

I agree with you - Vern's a keeper. Happy Valentine's day to you and yours!