"If we cannot live so as to be happy, let us at least live so as to deserve it."
~Immanuel Hermann Fichte

Friday, February 24, 2006

Since when does no mean yes?

Ah, Spring is coming. The phone calls have begun. So far I've turned down 4 weddings this month. I'm still officially taking a break and am happy with that decision. There are some things that really need to happen before I follow that path. Important, necessary things.

Yesterday though, in a conversation where my initial response was "I'm not doing any photography work right now" I still ended up with a tentative family shoot. I hung up the phone & shook my head. What? I thought I'd said no. I guess "not at the moment" isn't enough of a no for a shoot that is months away. Fair enough. And it could be fun.

Then today a family friend called. She has a wedding coming up. Am I still taking a break? Why yes, I am. So we do a bit of a consult instead. Um, the bride & groom are still planning to call us. A wedding in May? But I'm taking a break. Really I am. Still taking care of loose ends from past stuff, trying to regain focus and figure out how everything really works with four kiddos. I'm not sure we'll be ready by May. I'll have Vern be the one to talk to the couple. He'll know how to consult with them & help them - possibly without picking up a camera. lol

The reason for the break? Stress levels, health levels and a near breakdown during/after last season. A period that was so close to burning me right out. Still working through some things. Photography is a part of me and is still what I want to do. First though, like I said, some things need to be taken care of. If I'm going to continue to do this I need to do it right. That means time out to tie up loose ends and get things ready. Then some time in the future we'll blast back into the scene & do it right. Should be fun.

Meanwhile I ought to practice saying no. (It can be really hard when people you care about want/need your help. I have a hard time not stepping in to do things that need to get done when asked. For friends, family, and so on - pretty much anyone who asks and is really in need. In some cases I'm not sure an absolute no is in me. Agh. Good thing there's Vern.)

There. Typing this was therapeutic. I do think Vern needs to field all phone calls from here on out though. lol

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

**HUGS** to you...you'll get it all figured out and be in the right place to do whatever it is you want to, I know it.

In the meantime...practice that no. ;)